Whether white wine or red wine has your heart, or whether you prefer rose or sparkling, or love a delicious sangria, a handcrafted white blend, or a big, bold, red - we can all agree on one thing: WINE.IS.AWESOME! And today, May 25, is the day to celebrate and sip in "awe" of the beauty that is this complex, history-filled, sensitive-yet-sturdy beverage. We do so by sharing some fun wine facts to strengthen the bond between you and your vino. Enjoy!
1. The art of winemaking - the innovative processes and preservation methods - dates back to the Middle Ages, but...
2. Wine was discovered about 6,000 years ago in the Middle East, with evidence of cultivated wines dating back to 6000BC but...
3. It is believed that the invention of wine was an accident! When yeast came into contact with grapes, the sugars turned to alcohol - and wine was born!
4. Wine isn't only pretty - the colour of it tells you something! Like how dark reds and yellow whites came from warm climates, while wines lighter in colour and taste come from cooler climates (generally)
5. The health benefits associated with wine has to do with nutrients found in their skins, which is why red wine is better for your health than white wine - sorry, white wine lovers!
6. The hundreds of aromas and tastes found in wine come from the grapes themselves and the fermentation process - not added flavours (aside from sangria...mmmm...)
7. 10,000 varieties of wine-grapes exist worldwide
8. European wines are named for where they are grown, while non-European wines are named for the varietal (type of grape)
9. A crop of newly-planted grapes takes about four-five years to grow before it can be harvested
10. The math: seventy-five grapes make up one cluster; it takes approximately two-and-a-half pounds of grapes to make one bottle of wine; one grape vine produces approximately ten bottles; one barrel contains 295 bottles of wine
Next time you raise your glass, be sure to "cheers" what's in it - it's pretty impressive stuff! Happy National Wine Day!